Akaroa presents superb opportunities for boating, tramping, dolphin watching and swimming, mountain bike riding, 4WD safaris and horse riding.
- Boat Cruises: view the volcanic cliffs and sea caves and get up close to the bird and marine life, including the rare Hector's dolphin.
- Gourmet Experiences: the Akaroa area features two wineries, a cheese factory, a lavender farm and a selection of excellent dining options.
- 4WD Safaris: see a white-flippered penguin colony and a New Zealand fur seal colony.
- Walking: walks include one-hour, two-day and four-day walks on the Banks Peninsula Track.
- Gardens: see a large range of very different gardens open to the public (most are open year round).
- Okains Bay Maori & Early Settlers' Museum: view an extensive collection of fully furnished Maori and colonial buildings, war canoes and many artefacts.
- Swimming: great swimming beaches can be found in Okains and Le Bons Bays. Some of the remote southern and south east bays are great for surfing.
- Blue Pearl Centre: see various craftspeople at work.
- Shopping: Akaroa is home to quaint shops and boutiques