- Dunedin Public Art Gallery: a wealth of international and national works both contemporary and traditional.
- Taieri Gorge Railway: visitors depart Dunedin Railway Station and travel through the Taieri River Gorge to Pukerangi and Middlemarch
- Larnach Castle and gardens: see New Zealand's only castle
- Speights Brewery: enjoy a tour of one of Dunedin's oldest industries
- Otago Museum: wander this newly remodelled and renovated museum, which includes displays of Maori and Pacific heritage
- Otago Settlers' Museum: learn more about Dunedin's Scottish heritage.
- Cadbury Chocolate factory: excellent for tour and tastings.
- Architecture: Dunedin is noted for the splendour of its many municipal building
- Royal Albatross Centre, Taiaroa Head, Otago Peninsula: visit the site of the only mainland breeding colony of royal albatross in the world.
- Wildlife Cruises: experience by boat albatrosses, seals, penguins, shags (cormorants) and other marine and bird life
- New Zealand Marine Studies Centre: wander through an aquarium of New Zealand marine life.
- Day trips: visitors can take day trips to the Catlins area from Dunedin
Situated 110 km/68 miles north of Dunedin, Oamaru is considered a good day trip destination from Dunedin.
- Oamaru's historic limestone (whitestone) precinct: visitors can see buildings featuring Oamaru stone, a form of local limestone
- Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony: view the penguins coming ashore at dusk in this colony situated in the local harbour area
- Moeraki Boulders: wonder at these spherical beach boulders uncovered by the sea, 33 km/21 miles south of Oamaru
Palmerston is one of the gateways to the Otago gold fields, and a service centre for the Macraes Gold Mine.
- The Otago Goldfields Heritage Trail: traverses Otago following the old gold trails. The main highways are sealed, but some old mining sites are on gravelled side roads. Watch for roadside signposting. Included in the trail are the Macraes Gold Mine and historic Golden Point Battery near Palmerston: guided tours are available