- Skiing Methven: Mt Hutt Ski Area offers some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the Southern Hemisphere, for beginners right through to the most advanced. Snow making equipment ensures a long and reliable season from May to October. Mt Hutt is the closest skifield to Christchurch, only 30 minutes from Methven, 60 minutes from Christchurch International Airport and 90 minutes from Christchurch City.
- Heliskiing: Intermediate to expert skiers and snow-boarders can enjoy the stunning wilderness of New Zealand's mountains with a day of heliskiing. Professional guides will take you by helicopter to ski or board untracked snow, amongst world-class mountains and glaciers.
- Golf: Methven's 18 hole golf course is considered to be one of New Zealand's best country courses - it has spectacular mountain views and is planted with beautiful trees and shrubs. With golf clubs for hire and tuition available, there's no excuse not to have a round of golf and enjoy this lovely course.
- Fishing: Salmon fishing is popular in the nearby Rakaia River, and the many closeby mountain lakes and streams abound with both fighting rainbow and big brown trout. The fly fishing season lasts from October to April, and local guides are available to assist you.
- Rafting: White-water rafting the Rakaia or Rangitata Rivers is a spectacular way to discover hidden parts of the country. Experience is not required as there are qualified guides.
- Parachuting: Tandem or solo parachuting would have to be the ultimate adventure holiday! Tuition is available at nearby Pudding Hill Airfield - so no excuses please!
- Ballooning: An early morning hot air balloon ride is an exciting yet quiet and gentle way to view the Canterbury Plains and backdrop of mountain ranges.
- Hunting: Deer and mountain thar can be hunted in the foothills and high country with the guidance of professional hunters.
- Horse Riding: Horse or pony rides and horse-drawn wagon rides are an ideal, leisurely way to take in the rural and mountain scenery. You can also experience the thrill of driving a prize-winning trotter from the sulky!
- Walking, Tramping & Biking: Methven Walkway provides good views for walkers, runners and mountain bikers. Easy or harder trips can be made in the nearby Awa Awa Rata Reserve at the base of Mt Hutt and Rakaia Gorge Walkway while longer tramps and rides are available in the Mt Somers area.
- Jetboating: The Rakaia River offers thrilling jetboating conditions. Trips can be made purely for the adrenalin rush or you can be dropped off at a secluded fishing spot and collected later in the day.
- Farm Tours: See sheep shearing, working dogs and other aspects of farm life-the Methven area has many dairy, beef and deer farms, sheep stations and huge areas planted with grain and seed crops.
No listings found. Please try another category.